The NBA Draft always brings plenty of surprises and this year was no different.
The Philadelphia 76ers took Washington guard Markelle Fultz with the No. 1 pick and the Los Angles Lakers followed it up by taking another PAC-12 player in UCLA’s Lonzo Ball.
After trading the top pick to the 76ers and moving two spots down in the draft, the Boston Celtics took Duke’s Jayson Tatum at No. 3. The Phoenix Suns then took Josh Jackson of Kansas and the Sacramento Kings rounded out the Top 5 after taking Kentucky guard De’Aaron Fox.
Two picks later, the deals started to fly.
— Timberwolves (@Timberwolves) June 23, 2017
The Minnesota Timberwolves took Finnish freshman Lauri Markkanen from Arizona with the No. 7 pick and then sent him as well as Kris Dunn and Zach LaVine for the 16th pick (Justin Patton) and three-time All-Star Jimmy Butler.
Gonzaga freshman sensation Zach Collins went 10th overall to the Kings, but was traded to the Portland Trail Blazers as part of a pick swap (No. 15, No. 20).
Louisville shooting guard Donovan Mitchell was taken be the Denver Nuggets at No. 13, but was traded to Utah after the Jazz sent the rights to Trey Lyles as well as the 24th pick.
With the swapped picks, the Sacramento Kings used two of their three picks on North Carolina’s Justin Jackson and Duke’s Harry Giles.
The Jazz also packaged the No. 30 and the No. 42 picks to move up to No. 28 in order to draft North Carolina center Tony Bradley who became the first one-and-done player at UNC in the past decade.
Kansas guard Frank Mason III made headlines for all teh wrong reasons as he became the first person in NBA history to be selected in the second round, despite winning the John R. Wooden Award, which is awarded to the nation’s most outstanding men’s college basketball player.
NBA Draft Results
1. Philadelphia 76ers: Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
2. Los Angeles Lakers: Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
3. Boston Celtics: Jayson Tatum, F, Duke
4. Phoenix Suns: Josh Jackson, G/F, Kansas
5. Sacramento Kings: De’Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
6. Orlando Magic: Jonathan Isaac, F, Florida State
7. Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Bulls): Lauri Markkanen, C, Arizona
8. New York Knicks: Frank Ntilikina, G, Strasbourg (France)
9. Dallas Mavericks: Dennis Smith, G, N.C. State
10. Sacramento Kings (traded to Blazers): Zach Collins, C, Gonzaga
11. Charlotte Hornets: Malik Monk, G, Kentucky
12. Detroit Pistons: Luke Kennard, G, Duke
13. Denver Nuggets (traded to Jazz): Donovan Mitchell, G, Louisville
14. Miami Heat: Bam Adebayo, F/C, Kentucky
15. Portland Trail Blazers (traded to Kings): Justin Jackson, G/F, North Carolina
16. Chicago Bulls (traded to Timberwolves): Justin Patton, C, Creighton
17. Milwaukee Bucks: D.J. Wilson, F, Michigan
18. Indiana Pacers: T.J. Leaf, PF, UCLA
19. Atlanta Hawks: John Collins, F/C, Wake Forest
20. Portland Trail Blazers (traded to Kings): Harry Giles, F/C, Duke
21. Oklahoma City Thunder: Terrance Ferguson, G/F, Adelaide (Australia)
22. Brooklyn Nets: Jarrett Allen, C, Texas
23. Toronto Raptors: OG Anunoby, F, Indiana
24. Utah Jazz (traded to Nuggets): Tyler Lydon, F, Syracuse
25. Orlando Magic (traded to 76ers): Anžejs Pasečņiks, C, Gran Canaria (Spain)
26. Portland Trail Blazers: Caleb Swanigan, C, Purdue
27. L.A. Lakers: Kyle Kuzma, PF, Utah
28. L.A. Lakers (traded to Jazz): Tony Bradley, C, North Carolina
29. San Antonio Spurs: Derrick White, G, Colorado
30. Utah Jazz (traded to Lakers): Josh Hart, SG, Villanova
31. Charlotte Hornets (traded to Pelicans): Frank Jackson, PG, Duke
32. Phoenix Suns: Davon Reed, SG, Miami
33. Orlando Magic: Wesley Iwundu, SG, Kansas State
34. Sacramento Kings: Frank Mason, PG, Kansas
35. Orlando Magic (traded to Grizzlies): Ivan Rabb, PF/C, California
36. Philadelphia 76ers: Jonah Bolden, PF, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
37. Boston Celtics: Semi Ojeleye, F, SMU
38. Chicago Bulls (traded to Warriors): Jordan Bell, F, Oregon
39. Philadelphia 76ers (traded to Clippers): Jawun Evans, PG, Oklahoma State
40. New Orleans Pelicans (traded to Hornets): Dwayne Bacon, SF, Florida State
41. Atlanta Hawks: Tyler Dorsey, SG, Oregon
42. Utah Jazz (traded to Lakers): Thomas Bryant, C, Indiana
43. Houston Rockets: Isaiah Hartenstein, PF/C, Zalgiris (Lithuania)
44. New York Knicks: Damyean Dotson, SG, Houston
45. Houston Rockets (traded to Grizzlies): Dillon Brooks, SF, Oregon
46. Philadelphia 76ers (traded to Bucks): Sterling Brown, SG, SMU
47. Indiana Pacers: Ike Anigbogu, C, UCLA
48. Milwaukee Bucks (traded to Clippers): Sindarius Thornwell, SF, S. Carolina
49. Denver Nuggets: Vlatko Cancar, PF, Mega Bemax (Serbia)
50. Philadelphia 76ers: Mathias Lessort, PF/C, Nanterre (France)
51. Denver Nuggets: Monte Morris, PG, Iowa State
52. New Orleans Pelicans (traded to Pacers): Edmond Sumner, PG, Xavier
53. Boston Celtics: Kadeem Allen, PG, Arizona
54. Phoenix Suns: Alec Peters, PF, Valparaiso
55. Utah Jazz: Nigel Williams-Goss, PG, Gonzaga
56. Boston Celtics: Jabari Bird, SG, California
57. Brooklyn Nets: Aleksander Vezenkov, F, FC Barcelona (Spain)
58. New York Knicks: Ognjen Jaramaz, PG, Mega Bemax (Serbia)
59. San Antonio Spurs: Jaron Blossomgame, SF, Clemson
60. Atlanta Hawks: Alpha Kaba, C, Mega Bemax (Serbia)